Friday 16 November 2012

a bit more!

I've always been a bit of a 'thinker' and 'reflector' so it's no surprise that over this last few weeks I've thought alot about memories. Some of them just come from nothing particular where others are a bit more specific. I'm no different to anyone else, in that I have so many that its hard to find them all instantly and as I've got older I find I need people to prompt me with them!!



So...they started with one (as you do!) then there were six..



Stephen, me, Philip, Ruth (nice hair), Rebekah (even nicer hair) and Dave (who had a bit more hair)..anyway, thats just a wee reminder of all of us..as regards a bit more...

A good place to start, since it was only a couple of weeks ago is bonfire night. We thought we would have the first party of many. The kids thought it was great fun, although I think they are assuming that it's party time ALL the time now..not sure we can keep that up, but we sure will give it a go. Any excuse for a gin and tonic (donations of gin more than welcome!!).

Pre party photo..



I remember the excitement of bonfire night when I was little. We used to go to the Baptist church and there was always Mrs Baxters treacle toffee, she used to wrap it in little pieces of grease proof paper, then there were toffee apples, and mummy always made fudge. Ruth tells me that mummy attempted to make toffee too but it turned out badly...she was only over the other week and already I've forgotten the story! I think they used to bake potato's in tin foil too. It was always good fun, probably because we were allowed to stay up late and got to eat whatever we wanted!!! I loved the smell of the fire , the sound of it crackling away, and everyone enjoying themselves.

It makes me think now about the time and effort that those people put in to all those events, and over 30 years later, those memories (for me) are still there. Mrs Baxter made us all little over the shoulder purses for sunday school, and every week gave us a written out bible verse. John 3 16 was the very first. Its made me also think about the importance of saying 'thankyou'..such a small word but one that has a big meaning. It would be lovely to say thankyou again to people who are no longer here, for the influence they have had on my life, and for the time and effort that was invested and the love that was expressed to me. Since I can't do that...I'll make sure that I say thankyou in abundance to those that are still here!!!!

So..I'll just slip a thankyou in now, for the prayers, messages, words, loving gestures, acts of kindness..keep them coming x

Anyway, we thought some of the traditions should continue, except thorntons have provided the toffee and the fudge and we haven't quite got to the toffee apple stage..all those sticky fingers ( Rebekah wouldn't cope with them all over her house! ) Next year...I shall attempt to make my own treacle toffee and fudge. If anyone has a tried and tested easy to make treacle toffee recipe, send it on to me.

 
The above was consumed only by myself, who Rebekah has named daddy pig (yes, from peppa pig)  and Rebekah who Richard Brown has named freaky kid..accurate name for her!! Though a bit like pot calling kettle black, don't you think Richard?!!
 
 
 
 
 
 I think Rebekah enjoyed the marshmallow game more than the kids, certainly Emma liked teasing her with it! 
 
 
I wish I could remember,
 The words that I just heard,
The tune is very lovely,
I'm such a silly bird....tweet tweet (sung with hands on hips!!)
 
Couldn't resist adding that little song, Kotie came home from school today, got onto the step in the kitchen, that we call 'the stage' and sang it for no other reason than she had learnt it at school and wanted to share it..
 
She followed it with this..
Kotie: 'mummy, Lily is still my best friend and I love her, but I have a boyfriend now too, he's called Nathan, did you know that?'
Me: 'Err, no, I didn't know that, what is it you like about him?             
Kotie: 'Well, he's kind and funny'                                                           
Me: 'Thats nice, how did he become your boyfriend?'                           
Kotie: 'Never you mind'                                                                          
Me: 'pardon?'                                                                                           
Kotie: 'Well, I might just tell you after the christmas holidays how it    happened'                                                                                                
 
Thats all for now!!!
                                                                                          
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Yes the 60th......hiding in Benedict's bedroom with numerous false alarms of HER arrival! She was of course delayed at the Grapevine! Fancy that.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where was daddy?! It must have been the year before he died x

      Delete
  2. So, not so much emergency "fruit cake" then? Will have to remember to try and get some emergency " thorntons toffee"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the picture of all of you! Priceless :)

    ReplyDelete